Cruella de Vil Costume

I was set on being a Disney villain for Halloween this year and after much back and forth, I decided on the one. The maniacal Cruella de Vil. Why Cruella? It all came down to potential accessories. Cruella's look is simple enough: black dress, red shoes, red gloves, (fur) coat, and that memorable black/white hair. My challenge was staying true to Cruella's style but adding some elements of my own. The result was a more subtle version of Cruella.


I stumbled upon my 101 Dalmatian figurine set that I got in elementary school and knew I had to somehow use them for my costume.


First thing on my Cruella costume to-do list was to make a headband with my dalmatian figurines attached to it.
To make a Dalmatian headband, you'll need:

Materials
  • thin plastic headband
  • small Dalmatian figurines
  • E-6000 glue

Like in my Dinosaur Headband post,I used E-6000 glue to attach the dalmatians to a thin, plastic headband.
I used rubber bands to test out the placement of the figurines on the headband.


Cruella has a long fur coat in the movie, but I'm an animal (especially dog) lover! Luckily I had leftover paw print fleece from a previous project to use in place of Cruella's fur coat!


I only had 2 haphazardly cut 3x4 feet pieces of fabric so I made a cape instead of a coat. This is also why there's a seam down the back of the cape. My aunt also happened to have a black faux fur collar that she didn't want, so I sewed it to my piece of fabric to make the cape look more finished. I basically trimmed off the uneven parts of the fabric to make clean edges.


Cruella's half black half white super mussed up hair is iconic. There are a few options to achieve the look: you can buy a white wig and dye half of it black or purchase black or white temporary hair spray color, depending on the color of your own hair. I used white dry shampoo, baby powder, and hairspray to achieve a gray-ish white color.


The rest of Cruella's look is pretty simple: black dress, red belt, tights (optional), red heels, red gloves, and green earrings. While I used a red scarf to create my red gloves and had the rest of these items already in my closet, you can easily find them at thrift stores or online. For Cruella's cigarette holder you can use a chopstick or old paintbrush and paint it black with a gold tip to achieve the look.


Of course there's nothing like a dog to complete the look! Since I don't have a dog, I held a Patch stuffed animal instead. Patch is from 101 Dalmatians! :)


I have one more Halloween costume post coming soon but in the meantime, check out out my first Halloween 2015 costume, DIY-nosaur.

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine