So An Ewoks Into A Forest..

My lack of Star Wars knowledge didn't stop me from being excited about Star Wars Reads Day! To celebrate this awesome event, my work is hosting a Star Wars themed festival for the kids in our program. After learning we could dress up for this event, costume ideas were swirling around my brain at lightspeed.


Naturally, I selected an Ewok as my costume inspiration. (Who am I to pass up a chance to look like a bear?) I was caught up in the creative rush of crafting this costume and forgot to take pictures of each step :( But hopefully you can still understand the process of making this Ewok hood.


Materials
  • rust colored fabric
  • scissors
  • sewing machine
  • faux fur trim
  • black thread
  • sewing needle
  • velcro

I fiddled around with a leftover piece of rust colored fabric to make my Ewok hood but you can use any hood on a sweatshirt for pattern inspiration. I left the ends unsewed so that I could wrap them around the front of my neck to make it look like a hooded scarf.


By far the best part about this costume is the ears! I used faux fur trim from a jacket to make my ears. I decided the best way to make round, full ears would be to roll the material into two balls.


I hand-sewed each additional layer of fur to the previous layer to ensure that they stuck together and didn't fall apart.


I didn't expect to fur to fall out when I cut the faux fur material in half, but it did. As a result one ear is smaller than the other :(


After lots of rolling and sewing I ended up with two furry ears!


Next I pinned my ears to the top of my hood and adjusted them until I was satisfied with their placement and sewed them onto the top of my hood.


I sewed a small piece of velcro the the part of the hood that drapes around my neck so that it would look sewn together. To complete the look I searched my closet for brown/tan/beige colored clothes. Apparently I only wear brown if it's for costume purposes, in this case I wore this dress when I was a cavewoman.


I found another scrap of orange/red fabric and decided to dress up a stuffed bear as an Ewok. I made a simple spear for my Ewok bear using a chopstick, felt, and twine. It was love at fur-st sight.


If you were in San Francisco and saw a couple of Ewoks prancing around the Presidio, chances are it was us!


I admire companies that find fun and creative ways to promote causes like reading. With that, I extend a big galactic high-five to Star Wars/Disney! Speaking of Disney, I'm looking forward to wearing this when Star Wars Land opens at Disneyland :)


May the force (of reading) be with you on this Star Wars Reads Day.

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine