Sharknado 3 Costume

Once I watched Sharknado, I was hooked. Although the world was better off without Sharknado 2: The Second One, I thought I would show my love for the ridiculous franchise, in particular my favorite Sharknado movie: Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No. I had the idea of a Sharknado 3 costume 2 weeks before Halloween and finished the costume the day before Halloween. Definitely a frantic rush to the finish, but the most fun costume to wear! Scroll down to see how I made my costume, which was named an honorable mention in Brit+Co's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest!


I used a gray beanie, sparkly gray fleece, white fleece, black felt, and stuffing to make my shark hat. This project took a lot of sewing and adjusting, but it was definitely worth it.


My original shark hat pattern.


The finished shark hat!


Making the shark hat ate up all of my time (2 weeks) so I only had time to make a few key accessories for my costume, including the ever-so-important chainsaw.


At the end of Sharknado 3, Fin goes to space and encounters sharks. I needed an astronaut suit but didn't have one so I DIY-ed one using a white long sleeve shirt, white jeans, and silver platform sneakers. I also wore aviators, a carabiner, knee pads, and belt for visual interest. I made a NASA patch out of felt and used a small American flag from an actual flag to sew onto my white long sleeve shirt. To finish the look I borrowed an International Space Station patch to sew onto my white jeans.


My Sharknado 3 costume wouldn't be complete without some "Oh Hell No" letters made of felt! After all, it's called Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! I cut out and sewed the letters to some denim and then sewed that to the back of my white long sleeve shirt.


I'm 5 feet 3 inches tall, but with the 22 inch long shark hat, I was about 7 feet tall! To prevent chandeliers, doorways, and low ceilings from knocking into the tail of my shark hat, I had to bend my knees and awkwardly waddle through doorways.


I had so much fun editing some of these photos to make them more grungy and apocalyptic. Check out a before and after shot below!


This was definitely the most complex costume I've ever made. I love how the hat turned out, especially the angry eyes, although it's heavier than it looks. Fun fact: the medal I'm wearing is from being an Honor Student in 5th grade. Huge shout-outs to my mom for providing sewing advice and my boyfriend for taking a ton of pictures :) PS: If you still don't understand my costume, go watch Sharknado 3!

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine