DIY Coffee Filter Art

Today's post is a throwback! I remember doing coffee filter art as a kid and thought it would be a fun and easy art project for my first/second graders. This projects is awesome because every filter you make will be unique, eye-catching, and look like tie-dye! Did I say tie-dye? More like tie-DIY.


Materials
  • coffee filters
  • markers
  • squirt bottle filled with water
  • plain white paper
  • colored paper for extra decoration


First, color your entire coffee filter with markers. Use 2 or more colors to add some interest. I recommend using a variety of colors because the water will make the colors blend!


When you’re done, place the colored coffee filter on a plain sheet of paper. The markers will bleed through the filter once wet, so the paper will protect whatever surface you’re working on. Now here comes the fun part! Grab the squirt bottle and spray the coffee filter with water. The goal is to squirt enough water so that the colors start to blend without completely soaking the filter in water.


Add more water to areas where you can distinctly see marker lines. But really, you can add as much or as little water as you want.


Let the filters dry and you're done!


If you want to add some extra flare to your filters, you can add decorations to them! I chose to make a sun and planet. I cut triangles out of yellow paper to make the sun rays and made a ring around the planet using black paper.


My kids really liked this last filter that I made and enjoyed the process of making their own coffee filter art even more!


I love watching blobs of colors blend seamlessly together to form a beautiful kaleidoscopic explosion of color. I moustache if you've done this before and if you've found any other art uses for coffee filters!

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine