DIY Donut Valentines

As promised, I'm posting a sweet Valentine's Day tutorial: DIY paint chip donut valentines!




Materials
  • paint chips in white, tans, and pinks
  • scissors
  • Xacto knife
  • hole punch
  • glue stick
  • fabric paint
  • colored cardstock

First, go find the colors you want! I had a bunch of paint chips from when we were painting our house but I stopped by my local paint store to pick up a few more shades. I went for tans that reminded me of traditional glazed donuts. Who knew there was such a huge range of tans?


I decided to stick with shades of pink and white for frosting to keep my donuts Valentine's Day themed.


I cut my circles freehand but for the tutorial purposes I traced circles on my paint chips as a stencil.


Directions:
  1. Trace a circle out of a tan colored paint chip to create your donut dough base.
  2. Cut out the tan circle.
  3. Trace the donut base circle onto the paint chip you will be using for frosting. Draw some wavy lines to create a flower-like shape that is a little smaller than the donut base circle.
  4. Mark the center of your frosting flower and draw a circle. This will be the center of your donut.
  5. Using an Xacto knife or circle punch, cut a hole in the center of your frosting paint chip.
  6. What the frosting will look like on the donut.
  7. Mark the center of the donut circle and draw a circle that is slightly larger than the frosting hole you made.
  8. Cut out the circle you drew. The donut hole does not have to be perfect since the edges will be covered by the frosting.
  9. Line up your donut and frosting holes and glue stick them together! Easy basic donuts.

My donut army.


I used the leftover donut holes (from using my Xacto) to make mini donuts. Use a hole punch to create the hole to make mini donuts.


Time for sprinkles! Grab bright colored puffy paints/fabric paints to make sprinkles! I liked the 3-D aspect of using paint on the paper donuts. Add some glittery gold for extra sparkly sprinkles!


Use as many or as few colors as you like for sprinkles.


Big and mini donuts.




Write or print captions for you donuts. Arrange your donuts and captions on colored cardstock and use a glue stick to paste them on. As usual I had to whip up as many donut puns as I could.


Here's a close-up of some samples I whipped up.


Donut just keep these to yourself, spread the love this Valentine's Day.

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine