DIY Fabric Bridal Shower Banner

No bridal shower occasion is complete without a banner! I considered buying a blank burlap banner and using iron-on letters for my sister's bridal shower, but what kind of crafter would I be if I didn't at least attempt to DIY it. See how I made my banner using materials that I already had at home :)


Materials
  • fabric (I used leftover upholstery fabric)
  • paper
  • freezer paper
  • fabric paint

Tools
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • sewing pins
  • hot glue gun (or sewing thread and needle)
  • X-acto
  • iron
  • paint brush

Instructions
  1. Use pencil, paper, and scissors to make and cut out a pattern for your banner. Double the width of the top part of your banner to allow room to fold it over and insert a ribbon to hang it.
  2. Pin the stencil to the fabric and cut out as many as you need, one per letter.
  3. Flip the banner over so the backside is facing up. Use hot glue along the top edge of the top of your banner and fold it down. (I sewed mine, but hot glue is way more time efficient!) Leave enough room to slip a ribbon/twine through the opening.
  4. Cut out letters from freezer paper to make stencils. You can also freehand your letters or use pre-made stencils!
  5. Lay the freezer paper stencils onto your fabric and iron them down, paper side facing up.
  6. Use fabric paint to fill in the exposed areas of the stencil and let fully dry.
  7. Insert a ribbon through each individual banner shape.
  8. Make a knot at the beginning and end of each completed banner word to ensure the ribbon doesn't slip through.
  9. Tape it to a wall. I used fake flowers to camouflage the painter's tape I used, but pom-poms, pinwheels, and gift bows make cute alternatives!


Two words of wisdom about hanging up your banner: TAG TEAM. (Not in the wrestling context!) It makes the process so much easier if you have someone on hand to help you hang your banner!

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine