Mickey (Ear)rings

In elementary school I had Disney overalls, with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto sticking out of the front chest pocket. My mom helped me turn that pocket and the overall straps into a cute denim bag after I could no longer fit the overalls. Anyway I saved some leftover metal buttons from those overalls in hopes of turning them into earrings. See how I did it! (Actual tutorial for earrings and rings starts halfway through this post!)




Since I took a metal arts class earlier this year and had to buy a ton of supplies, I had the tools I needed to saw off the bottoms of those buttons to make them into stud earrings. (Jeweler's saw, #5 saw blade, wax, c-clamp, bench pin, sharpie, and scribe.)


Success!


Ok here's where the super easy button stud earring tutorial kicks in! You can use any button with a flat back to make this process easier, otherwise use wire cutters to cut off the part of the button that sticks out.


Since I sawed off the bottoms of these buttons (see above,) I used 200 grit sandpaper to even out the surface of my buttons. You can skip this step if your buttons are already flat.


Apply E6000 to the backs of your earring blanks and the backs of your buttons and line them up.


Press the earring blanks onto the buttons and let dry overnight.


In my previous post, Getting Busy With Disney, I constructed Mickey ears out of buttons. I decided to turn two of them into stud earrings following the same steps listed above (apply E6000 to the backs of your Mickey ear buttons and earring blanks and let dry.)


Your earrings are ready! Make sure to clean the earring posts as well as the backs of the buttons with rubbing alcohol before wearing.


Me wearing the earrings :)

You can also make a button Mickey ring! All you need are your Mickey ears and a ring blank. Just apply E6000 to the back of your button Mickey and the back of your ring blank and let dry overnight.


I had all these supplies left over from other projects but you can easily buy a pack of earring and ring blanks for cheap at your local craft store or online. I hope you enjoyed this week's DIY Disney post! Visit again next week for the third installment of this three-part Disney blog post :)



♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine