Pineapple Palooza

Let's just say my obsession with pineapples has transcended into piñata (and phone case) territory. All I used were cardboard, scissors, masking tape, yellow and green crepe paper, and Mod-Podge.



I sketched a simple pineapple shape and cut it out of some cardboard. Then traced the cut-out onto another piece of cardboard to make 2 pineapple shapes.


I then used masking tape to attach a roughly 1 inch strip of cardboard between the two pineapple shapes. These pineapple cut-outs will form the back and front of your piñata.


After you securely tape down the first bit of cardboard connecting your two pineapple halves, move the cardboard between your hands (slightly bending as you go along) to make it more pliable and as a result easier to fit the shape of the pineapple leaves.


Continue shaping the cardboard strip and taping it down.


This is a pretty long process but it's cool to see your pineapple form emerge.


I did not leave an opening at the bottom of my pineapple because I did not want to put stuff in it, so I continued taping the cardboard strip around the entire pineapple.


Done!


This is where the piñata-esque aspect kicks in! Fringes. I accordion-folded long strips of yellow crepe paper and made cuts with scissors about 3/4 of the way through the strips, making sure not to cut all the way through (you'll cut off your fringes)! Cut a lot of this.


I found it easier to use 2-inch strips of fringe to do the sides of the pineapple because I could get it fit exactly how I wanted it to as opposed to using one long strip of fringe to go around the front, sides, and back of the pineapple. Such a nice change of pace moving onto green crepe paper!


Now onto the leaves! This part was a breeze. I basically collaged random sizes and shapes of green crepe paper all over the leaves of the pineapple, starting with the sides. I decided against fringe because I thought it would be too overwhelming.


I made sure to leave a sliver of cardboard plain so I could cover the bottom part of the leaves with yellow crepe paper. This gives it a more finished look.


Finished! I got excited and took a picture while the Mod Podge was still drying and forgot to take one with a completely dry pineapple -___- But I love how whimsical it turned out!


Here are all the piñatas I made this month!(I haven't stuffed any of them.. imagining someone taking a stick or bat to these babies saddens; crushes my soul).


Happy piñata-making!

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine