Desirable No.1: DIY Harry Potter Tank

As a major Harry Potter fan, I'm well-versed in all things Potter. I live for Harry Potter marathons on tv (even though I have all the dvds) and love to quote the first movie, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone whenever possible. With 7 books worth of magical inspiration and this easy tutorial, you can make Harry Potter-inspired t-shirts and tank tops for Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and the rest of your friends. If an personalized Potter tee is what you seek, this DIY is a keeper.


Materials
  • cotton t-shirt or tank top
  • stencils
  • fabric paint
  • paint brush
  • thin piece of cardboard
  • optional: chalk


Unlike how the wand chooses the wizard, you choose what you want your shirt to say! Use quotes from the Harry Potter books, catch phrases from the movies, or your favorite spells! Mine refers to having read and watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone aka my favorite HP movie.


Lay your shirt on a flat surface and insert a thin piece of cardboard (I used a flattened cereal box) inside the shirt. The cardboard will prevent any fabric paint from bleeding through onto the back of your shirt.


Use chalk to mark the boundaries of where you want the text to be. The cool thing about using chalk is that it you can easily brush it off your shirt when you're done.


Lay the stencil on top of the shirt. Using your non-dominant hand, press down firmly to secure the stencil so that you will get clean, straight edges when you paint. Dip your paintbrush into the fabric paint and carefully fill in the stencil of your desired letter. Once the first coat of paint is dry, add another thin coat on top.


Be sure to wipe off any excess paint on your stencil before you move on to the next letter. Repeat with the rest of the letters.


The fabric I used was not 100 percent cotton and a lot of the ink went through the shirt and onto the cardboard. I wanted my letters to look faded so it worked out well.


Remove the cardboard after the paint is dry to the touch and let the paint dry overnight. Follow additional instructions listed on your fabric paint for information about setting the paint. I tossed my shirt in the dryer, as instructed.


I'm definitely going to wear this when I go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (no trip currently planned, but it's a must!) But for now I'll wear it today in remembrance of Alan Rickman and in honor of Severus Snape. Harry Potter always.

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine