DIY Chalkboard Paint Gift Tags

I found a pack of 14 (originally 20) wooden chalkboard gift tags (Recollections) at Michaels on sale for 49 cents (originally $1.99) and was super excited to use them for tags for favors. But with 25+ guests attending my sister's bridal shower I had to think of a way to make 11 more. Fortunately, I had a stash of Wilsonart laminate samples from Home Depot that were the perfect shape for gift tags (including a hole to hang the tags) and black chalkboard paint. Unfortunately, the Michaels tags didn't work as initially expected.. Read on to find out what happened!


Materials
  • laminate countertop samples
  • black chalkboard paint
  • chalk marker
  • foam brush
  • ribbon to attach tag

Instructions
  1. Gather materials
  2. Peel off stickers on the back of the tags
  3. Use a foam brush to paint a coat of chalkboard paint on the back of the tag
  4. Let dry then add another coat of paint
  5. Let dry
  6. Use a chalk marker to write names on each tag


Maybe these tags weren't for chalk pens (or chalk at all) because the result I got was completely different than what I expected. Here's a comparison between the Michaels tag and my DIY tag using the same white Bistro chalk marker.


I ended up painting two layers of chalkboard paint over the Michaels gift tags. This worked wonderfully and allowed for a much smoother chalk pen finish.


I think it all comes down to the quality of the chalkboard paint. Nevertheless, I finished making all of the tags I needed and know now that I can DIY my own tags :)

♥ Justine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Currently..

Dreaming up some fun projects!

Currently Listening To

Moana

Welcome

Hello! I made this blog to keep track of my projects and adventures. Happy exploring. ♥ Justine